Newport Polo's Pavilion Manager is responsible for the game-day sequence of operations within the centerfield marquee Pavilion - the polo grounds' hub for reserved seating and entertainment - by overseeing the afternoon cycle of activitiy from pregame set up, customer service during the event, post-game social activations and breakdown, supervising specialized teams trained in these functions, and providing customer service.
Typical Responsibilities Include
- Oversee Pavilion set up: Supervising the Venue Team, to ensure a.) overall area prep including removal of trash and debris, surface blowout; b.) placement of seating, according to the seating chart, and inspection for furniture cleanliness; c.) distribution and inspection of tablecloths and all required decor and collateral on the tables before guest arrival; d.) trash barrel distribution and servicing;
- Supervise Host Team for seemless, professional customer reception and seating, ensuring a warm greeting, tickets properly verified, guests are seated in the correct location, and provide assistance with any conflicts.
- Supervise Server Team to provide excellent beverage service to seated guests: by ensuring that servers promptly greet each of their assigned tables upon patron arrivals, remain attentive throughout the event, taking orders, clearing tables, and restocking coolers & supplies during downtime, and oversee bar tab closeout.
- Ensure Pavilion cleanliness throughout the event by directing Venue Team activities for trash removal and spot cleanups.
- Direct the set up for Après Polo socials: ensure required furnishings and supplies are in place for caterer, bartender, and DJ, fire pit is stocked and ready to light, team members are in position to commence activities;
- Maintain complete knowledge of Point of Sale system and assist hospitality team with usage as needed.
- Participate in shift briefing with Host and Server teams to provide necessary updates and instructions before the start of wait service.
- Maintain knowledge of beverage menu, preparation techniques, and service requirements.
- Model professional standards of conduct including appearance, patron interactions, and acting as a team leader, and provide correction to team members as needed.
- Assist Beverage Servers during peak periods by bringing prepared orders to tables, taking new customer orders as needed, and processing customer payments.
- Assist with bar restocking as needed during the event.
- Prepare customer bills and process customer payments via cash or card using Point of Sale system.
- Oversee end-of-day procedures by ensuring that all tables are cleared, tablecloths are ready for laundry pick up, decorations are properly stored, all Pavilion furniture is broken down and properly stored, all service stations are cleaned, and trash is removed.
- Minimum 2 years of front-of-house restaurant or bar management experience required.
- Candidates must have excellent customer service skills, be a participating team player, and have a proven track record leading a large hospitality team in a fast-paced environment.
- Candidates must be experienced using a restaurant Point of Sale system - iPad based platform preferred.
- Must have current Alcohol Server Certification, valid in the state of Rhode Island.
Well qualified candidates should be friendly, outgoing, and committed, with the ability to work in a high-volume, outdoor environment. Candidates must have leadership skills, work well with others, and maintain a professional disposition when interacting with customers and other team members. Candidates must be able to accurately prepare bills, complete credit card and all other tender transactions. The position requires service-oriented individuals who are dedicated to creating an excellent customer experience.
Negotiable based on skills and experience.
Hours & Availability
Typical hours are Saturday, 1:30PM - 9:00PM (12:30PM - 8:00PM in September). Candidates must be available June - September.
To apply, please complete the online application here.
Print application is available here to complete by hand and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to (401) 846-0200.