Newport Polo is seeking candidates interested in hands-on experience in sports marketing and event production to gain valuable skills in event PR, marketing & promotions, sales, and operations. Our Brand Ambassadors work directly with the management team to experience and assist with all areas of managing the Newport Polo Club and Newport International Polo series.
Typical Responsibilities Include:
- Social Media messaging, including curating, creating, editing, and publishing new illustration + written content; prolific activity & engagement;
- Public Relations: Professional writing & dissemination of press releases; maintaining media relations and contact list;
- Develop written & illustrated news & editorial content, produced on nptpolo.com website and in weekly digital eNewsletters;
- Sponsor Relations: Assist with promotional portfolio production and implementation including all marketing & client entertainment collateral;
- Production of promotional collateral for weekly polo matches;
- Communication with sponsors, visiting teams, public customers, and media;
- Assist with sales administration;
- Assist with distribution of membership materials;
- Assist with event prep and execution for Newport Polo's events, including the Newport International Polo Series, International Polo Charity Ball, Après Polo events, and Benefit Matches;
- Coordinate itineraries for international teams;
Well-qualified candidates should be highly proficient in social media marketing across numerous platforms, including knowledge of current trends and various platform features, and experience in public relations. This position requires excellent written communication skills for all styles of business writing, from creative to advertising. Candidates must be well organized, with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet required deadlines. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office programs. Experience using a basic website content management platform is preferred. Graphic design experience on the Photoshop platform is strongly preferred, including an understanding of image sizing, resolution, and color profiles. Event experience and photography skills are a plus.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- All prior work experience is important to qualify candidates.
- This is a paid internship, open to the sophomore collegiate level and up - ideal for candidates with an interest in sports marketing, social media management, public relations, journalism, and event execution.
- Strong copywriting, including the ability to convey written information clearly and concisely; create attention-grabbing headlines; understanding of basic journalistic writing principles and structure of press releases is ideal; ability to adopt brand-specific tone, and ability to self-edit;
- Ability to evaluate visual media, including photos and video, for content & quality to select for publication;
- Ability to generate content ideas for social media posts, website, and eNews stories, within brand standards, that contribute to specific marketing goals;
- Ability to develop artistic designs and layouts for print and digital materials;
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word: the ability to adjust margins, page size, columns, insert and manipulate photos;
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel: ability to use basic functions including data sorting, formulas, conditional formatting, remove duplicates;
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop preferred: creating & sizing new documents in appropriate color profiles for specific applications; using basic tools: selection (magic wand, marquee, Lasoo, layer masking), brush, clone stamp, healing brush, gradients, shapes, text; saving for different applications;
- Experience using Adobe InDesign a plus: creating new documents; understanding of margins and bleed; layout creation including inserting text, images, and shapes;
Hourly commensurate with experience
Hours & Availability
The internship duration is May through August/September
Tuesday - Friday, 9 AM - 6 PM; Saturday, 11 AM - 8 PM,
- Every Saturday, June - Aug./Sept.
- Friday, August 4th, 6 PM-10 PM
To apply, please complete the online application here.
Print application is available here to complete by hand and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to (401) 846-0200.